The Bass seeks a creative museum leader with expertise in contemporary art with a minimum of 10 years of active curatorial practice and management-level museum experience.
Our ideal candidate possesses a sense of adventure and creativity with a sophisticated understanding of contemporary art, museum curatorial principles and institutional practices. Applicants must demonstrate experience as a thoughtful risk taker with a record of converting vision into working programs and inventive exhibitions. Candidates should be able to demonstrate their collaborative managerial approach, flexibility, collegiality, and enthusiasm for engaging a diverse community through art and creativity.
Applicants must have superior presentation and public speaking skills, as well as the ability to demonstrate strong leadership presence. This position requires constant engagement with a variety of stakeholders, including the museum’s Board of Directors, Collections Committee, colleagues, press, donors, external partners, as well as the general public. Candidates must hold themselves and their work to the highest ethical standards. Strategic thinking, financial acumen, organizational effectiveness, and a passion for staff development are fundamental functions of the position.
- Lead the development of a full, balanced and dynamic exhibition program in tandem with the Executive Director and curatorial staff.
- Organize and coordinate all exhibitions and projects presented at The Bass.
- As a member of the museum’s senior staff, the Chief Curator is expected to both attend and participate in Board of Directors and Collections Committee meetings.
- As supervisor for the museum’s curatorial and exhibitions department, the Chief Curator must oversee the planning, development, implementation, and management of the department’s approved budget, resources and programs.
- Collaborate with staff on opportunities for donor cultivation and assist in the development of grant proposals/applications.
- Work closely with the education department and museum operations team to ensure all programs and events are aligned with the overarching curatorial vision.
- Maintain regular workflow with the museum’s communications department to ensure messaging on exhibitions and programs is aligned with the curatorial vision and updates to exhibition schedule are communicated in a timely and effective manner.
- Serve as the museum staff liaison to the Collections Committee of the Board of Directors on all matters related to the collection, including providing analysis and recommendations for acquisitions and deaccessioning.
- Organize and collaborate with staff to produce museum programming (lectures, workshops, etc.), as may be required.
- Lead curatorial team to produce interpretive text for each exhibition/project, including brochure copy, catalogues and wall-text.
- The Chief Curator serves as a public facing member of the museum and is expected to represent The Bass within professional organizations, the community, regionally, and nationwide to ensure the museum has a lively and productive relationship with peer professionals and institutions, as well as the creative community and the general public.
- Perform other duties as may be required to support the effective operation of the museum’s curatorial department.
Applicants should have an advanced degree in Art History or a related field with a particular concentration in contemporary art. Candidates must have no less than 10 years of active curatorial and management-level museum experience.
Please submit a cover letter describing interest and experience, along with a resume and the names of three references to email@example.com. Suggestions of candidates are also welcome.
DATE OF HIRE: IMMEDIATELY
The Bass Museum of Art offers competitive salary and health benefits.
The Bass Museum of Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.